Summer is a season that can be both wonderful and dreadful. We enjoy the chance to go to the lake, bike ride on cooler days, grill with the family, or even the fireworks during fourth of July. We especially enjoy the freedom that comes with summer and its hope of vacation days. What isn’t so enjoyable is the heat. Summer, depending on where you live, can get very hot and we run the risk of ourselves or our homes suffering during the summer. No need to fear though, here are some helpful tips to make sure your home and you make it through summer without stress and a smile on your face.
Summer Home Maintenance Tips
For the Summer, there are some specific things you should do for your home in order to protect it and yourself from extreme heat. Here are some specific home maintenance tips for Summer.
- Make sure to plan for extreme heat.
- Check the weather stripping around your doors and windows.
- Cover windows that see sun in the morning or afternoon with a curtain.
- Check if your windows need recaulking.
- You can use Summer to clean your windows and screens or repair any damage to them.
- Be wary of bugs and other pests as this is the time they thrive and will try to get into your home.
- This is also the perfect season for home improvement projects as organizations tend to do them during the Summer. Summer allows you to see what is or isn’t working in your house.
- Check your exterior doors and replace or repair them if needed.
- You’ll want to turn on your sprinklers, so your grass doesn’t dry out.
- Make sure to water your plants a lot so they get the nourishment they need.
- Check your ceiling fans to make sure they are working and there isn’t any damage.
- You’ll want to have your roof inspected both inside and out as to make sure there isn’t any damage from storms.
- Get your air conditioning checked as you do not want to roast inside your home.
- Check your attic to make sure the insulation is still in good condition and make sure no moisture is getting into your house.
- You can also power wash your house, although check before to see if it is needed and if power washing may possibly damage any masonry on your home.
General Home Maintenance Tips
Outside of maintaining your house during the summer, it is also important to maintain it annually. In fact, there are some things you should check annually, or quarterly in your house. Here are a few tips for general home maintenance to keep your home in the best condition it can be year-round.
- Always plan ahead for upcoming seasons. This could be preparing for the cold in winter or the heat in summer.
- You can plant perennials in the Spring after the Winter season or in the Fall that will survive the winter and bloom come Spring.
- You’ll want to put new mulch down or inspect your current mulch as this will better protect your plants.
- You’ll want to turn outside facets back on after the winter and check for any damages done from the harsh temperatures.
- You’ll want to turn your sprinklers off in the Fall in preparation for Winter.
- You’ll want to have your trees inspected by a certified arborist to make sure they are healthy.
- This is also a good time to check your lawn or the rest of your grounds for damage.
- It is important to have your roof inspected to make sure there isn’t any damage from snow, loose or broken shingles.
- You should check your gutters at least twice a year. Check for damage or if they need to be cleaned out, especially if you live in an area with a lot of trees.
- Have your HVAC systems, smoke alarms, and plumbing checked in both the Spring and the Fall. Replace your filters in the Summer.
- Consistently have your air filters cleaned.
- Inspect your windows and doors to make sure they are insulated correctly, and the sealing is fine.
- The Fall is also a good time to do any indoor projects.
- Prepare for Winter by making sure your heating systems are on and in good condition.
Now you have a bunch of helpful tips to maintain your home not only during the hot days of Summer but year-round. Hope your home stays in good condition and make sure to stay hydrated, put sunscreen on, and stay cool. Have a great summer!
- The Annual Home Maintenance Checklist –Home Maintenance Checklist – Real Estate Guides – The New York Times (nytimes.com)
- Homeowner’s Guide to Summer Home Maintenance –https://www.farmers.com/learn/plan-and-prep/summer-home-maintenance-tips/
- 6 Summer Maintenance Tasks That Could Save You Cash—Have You Done Them All? –6 Summer Maintenance Tasks That Could Save You Cash—Have You Done Them All? (realtor.com)
Home Maintenance – Home Maintenance for summer – roofing – Southwest roofing – summer – summer tips for home – summer tips – home maintenance tips